Friday, October 10, 2008

Verse of the Day

The sins of my mouth and my frailties remember not;
in your kindness remember me . . . ~~Psalm 25.7
     While driving to the funeral of my son-in-law's father, our family began to discuss how the grandchildren might react to the loss.  I was stunned when one of our daughters began to recall how awful she had acted when her paternal grandfather died.  She was only seven years old at the time.  To be perfectly honest, neither my husband nor I even remembered the behavior she described.  I could tell she deeply regretted how she handled the situation and still felt guilty after all these years.
     The experience made me wonder how often we spend months, years and even decades ruminating over something that God has entirely forgotten.  I have heard people say that to forgive is not to forget, but my experience has been just the opposite.  When I forgive from my heart and not just my head, I no longer see the offense but the goodness at the core of the person.  Maybe that is what it means to see as God sees.
                                                                          Terri Mifek
Terri is a spiritual director and retreat team member.  She enjoys writing, hiking and spending time with her three grandchildren.
Shared by:
Oyee Alcantara
El Sobrante, CA

No comments: