Sunday, March 25, 2012

Today's Gospel - March 25, 2012 with Reflection

1ST READING - Jeremiah 31:31-34
P S A L M - Psalm 51:3-4, 12-13, 14-15
R: Create a clean heart in me, O God.
2ND READING - Hebrews 5:7-9 
GOSPEL ACCLAMATION
Whoever serves me must follow me, says the Lord; and where I am, there also will my servant be.
John 12:20-33
20 Some Greeks who had come up to worship at the Passover Feast 21 came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, and asked him, “Sir, we would like to see Jesus.” 22 Philip went and told Andrew; then Andrew and Philip went and told Jesus. 23 Jesus answered them, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. 24 Amen, amen, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains just a grain of wheat; but if it dies, it produces much fruit. 25  Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will preserve it for eternal life. 26 Whoever serves me must follow me, and where I am, there also will my servant be. The Father will honor whoever serves me. 27 I am troubled now. Yet what should I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? But it was for this purpose that I came to this hour. 28 Father, glorify your name.” Then a voice came from heaven, “I have glorified it and will glorify it again.” 29 The crowd there heard it and said it was thunder; but others said, “An angel has spoken to him.” 30Jesus answered and said, “This voice did not come for my sake but for yours. 31 Now is the time of judgment on this world; now the ruler of this world will be driven out. 32And when I am lifted up from the earth, I will draw everyone to myself.” 33 He said this indicating the kind of death he would die.
1st READING 2nd READING
think: Submission to God’s will is the act of a strong man.

SABBATH

UNLESS A GRAIN OF WHEAT DIES

One of the blessings of priesthood is to accompany people before they finally expire and face our Maker. Usually, it is hard for the family members and also for the one dying. Those who observe the process admit that there are stages that people go through: denial or shock, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. Other times, it is all a mix of emotions when one faces death.

Jesus Himself faced death and, in some Gospel accounts, He agonized in the garden: “Take this cup away from me.” Or, at the mount of the cross, He cried in frustration: “Father, why have you forsaken me?”
Death does not come easy. There is inner stubbornness or fear to submit to the helplessness or the reality of mortal life.

The readings remind us of the perspective of faith in facing death: “God will plant a law in our hearts.” As you can see the law is really a commandment of love. Later, we will read in the Gospel, “Perfect love casts out all fear.” In the letter to the Hebrews, we recall how Jesus obeyed. He listened to the will of the Father. Jesus learned to obey through suffering. When the Lord says, “Unless a grain of wheat falls to the earth and dies, it remains only a single grain but if it dies, it will yield a rich harvest,” it reflects the faith of the community the way Jesus faced death, and the way He would have wanted His followers to face death. Jesus, after a long struggle with death, cried to the Father: “Not my will but Thy will be done.”

Because of the reality of our mortality and the fear that accompanies it, we are reminded of the way of Jesus. Anyone who wishes to follow Jesus cannot escape the cross or the reality of death. Ignatius of Loyola recommends begging for our deepest desires.

Beg, then, for the grace to die to our false self, die to our character defects that resist the reality of suffering and death. Translation: the grace of constant renewal. The difficult climb is matched by an easy slide down back to the old ways.
Fr. Teodulo P. Gonzales, S.J

REFLECTION QUESTIONS: What is your encounter with the reality of death in your life? How have you experienced God’s reassuring example in Jesus?

Lord Jesus, I beg for the grace to die to my false self. Help me to renew myself constantly and not be pulled down by the negative influences inside me and around me.
St. Dismas, pray for us. 


Do you want to receive this in your email?  To get Bo Sanchez to send it to you personally, log-on to http://kerygmafamily.com.
Lots of surprises await.
   

No comments: