Sunday, August 12, 2012

Today's Gospel Reading - Sunday, August 12, 2012 with Reflection


1ST READING - 1 Kings 19:4-8

P S A L M - Psalm 34:2-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8-9
R: Taste and see the goodness of the Lord.
1 [2] I will bless the Lord at all times; his praise shall be ever in my mouth. 2 [3] Let my soul glory in the Lord; the lowly will hear me and be glad. (R) 3 [4] Glorify the Lord with me, let us together extol his name. 4 [5] I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. (R) 5 [6] Look to him that you may be radiant with joy, and your faces may not blush with shame. 6 [7] When the afflicted man called out, the Lord heard, and from all his distress he saved him. (R) 7 [8] The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and delivers them. 8 [9] Taste and see how good the Lord is; blessed the man who takes refuge in him. (R)

2ND READING - Ephesians 4:30-5:2

GOSPEL ACCLAMATION

I am the living bread that came down from heaven, says the Lord; whoever eats this bread will live forever.
John 6:41-51

41 The Jews murmured about Jesus because he said, “I am the bread that came down from heaven,” 42 and they said, “Is this not Jesus, the son of Joseph? Do we not know his father and mother? Then how can he say, ‘I have come down from heaven’?” 43 Jesus answered and said to them, “Stop murmuring among yourselves. 44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draw him, and I will raise him on the last day. 45 It is written in the prophets: ‘They shall all be taught by God.’ Everyone who listens to my Father and learns from him comes to me. 46 Not that anyone has seen the Father except the one who is from God; he has seen the Father. 47 Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life. 48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your ancestors ate the manna in the desert, but they died; 50 this is the bread that comes down from heaven so that one may eat it and not die.51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world.”

SABBATH


I HAVE HAD ENOUGH

How many times have we each felt like Elijah in today’s First Reading? I dare say that we can all recall a number of times in our lives when we have wanted to give up and not care about life anymore. Yes, life is difficult and there are many challenges but it is these very challenges and difficulties that are the spice of life. Without the challenges, life would be boring.

Elijah is a faithful warrior. He has fought a difficult battle in remaining faithful to God’s Law and his calling. He has struggled against all sorts of authorities and powers and remained true to his faith. Now he is tired and he wants to give up. Yet God still has work for him to do. The more we enter into the service of the Kingdom of God, the more we will discover the same is true for us. Just when we think we have nothing left to give, we are revived miraculously by the hand of God and we discover that we still have a little more to give in the service of the Kingdom of God. I am not saying that we have to work ourselves to the point of exhaustion and physical collapse.

It is critical for our lives of discipleship that we be willing to push the limits of our endurance for the sake of the Kingdom of God. There are times when we will be able to transcend our own limitations because the grace of God is at work and this is God’s will for the time being. There are times when our limitations form the demarcation line between what is and is not possible. We have to learn to discern the difference between these two realities.

All I can say in this regard is that we should err on the side of generosity as I am sure this is what God would do, indeed has done, in dying for us on the cross. Let us never be stingy in the way we respond to God’s grace. Let us always seek to draw the most benefit from it as we can, both for ourselves and for others. Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL

REFLECTION QUESTIONS: Do you tire easily in the service of the Kingdom of God? Or do you choose to push yourself in following God’s call?

Lord Jesus, You held nothing back — You gave Your all for me. Help me to realize that generosity is always the best response I can make when answering Your call on my life.

St. Louis of Toulouse, pray for us.

Do you want to receive this in your email?  To get Bo Sanchez to send it to you personally, log-on to http://kerygmafamily.com.
Lots of surprises await.
 

No comments: