Sunday, February 24, 2013

Today's Gospel Reading - Sunday, February 24, 2013 with Reflection

Second Sunday of Lent
1ST READING - Genesis 15:5-12, 17-18

P S A L M - Psalm 27:1, 7-8, 8-9, 13-14
R: The Lord is my light and my salvation.

The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom should I fear? The Lord is my life’s refuge; of whom should I be afraid? (R) 7Hear, O Lord, the sound of my call; have pity on me, and answer me. Of you my heart speaks; you my glance seeks.(R) Your presence, O Lord, I seek. Hide not your face from me; do not in anger repel your servant. You are my helper: cast me not off. (R) 13 I believe that I shall see the bounty of the Lord in the land of the living. 14 Wait for the Lord withcourage; be stouthearted, and wait for the Lord. (R)
2ND READING - Philippians 3:17-4:1

GOSPEL ACCLAMATION
From the shining cloud the Father’s voice is heard: This is my beloved Son, hear him.
Luke 9:28-36
28 Jesus took Peter, John, and James and went up the mountain to pray. 29 While he was praying his face changed in appearance and his clothing became dazzling white. 30 And behold, two men were conversing with him, Moses and Elijah, 31 who appeared in glory and spoke of his exodus thathe was going to accomplish in Jerusalem. 32 Peter and his companions had been overcome by sleep, but becoming fully awake, they saw his glory and the two men standing with him. 33 As they were about to part from him, Peter said to Jesus, “Master, it is good that we are here; let us make three tents, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.” But he did not know what he was saying. 34 While he was still speaking, a cloud came and cast a shadow over them, and they became frightened when they entered the cloud. 35 Then from the cloud came a voice that said, “This is my chosen Son; listen to him.” 36 After the voice had spoken, Jesus was found alone. They fell silent and did not at that time tell anyone what they had seen.


SABBATH


WE BUILD UPON THE SHOULDERS OF OTHERS
The Transfiguration of Jesus atop Mount Tabor is recorded by all the Gospels as a very important hinge in the mission narratives of Jesus. This is commonly regarded as the signal of Jesus’ final ascent to Jerusalem to fulfill His saving sacrifice for us. Aside from the manifestation of the Heavenly Father’s voice from the cloud that overshadowed the mountain, the Gospel tells us about the presence of Moses and Elijah.

Several explanations are offered about the figures of Moses and Elijahin the Transfiguration. First, it is argued that it was possible for both Old Testament personalities to show themselves with Jesus because, in the traditions of the Jews, Moses and Elijah possessed glorified bodies. Moses is said to have been assumed, body and soul, after his death, hence no one ever found out where the grave of Moses was (cf Deuteronomy 34:6). Elijah, on the other hand, was taken up bodily into heaven with a chariot of fire (2 Kings 2:11-13). Second, Moses is thought to represent the Law, and Elijah is regarded as the greatest of all prophets. Therefore, Moses and Elijah were there before Jesus to emphasize that the Law and the prophets both point to Jesus’ mission.

The presence of Moses and Elijah with Jesus on the holy mountain has still another significance: God’s plan is a continuum — something greater, and something that connects times and generations. Our individual missions, ministries and apostolates build on top of each other towards the attainment of God’s purpose. Fr. Domie Guzman, SSP
REFLECTION QUESTIONS: What precedent works and initiatives are you building on? Remember persons whom you consider to be pioneers and forerunners in your parish or in your congregation. What legacies did they leave behind?
I thank You, Lord, for the people who blazed the trail for us in building Your Kingdom on earth.

Blessed Luke Belludi, pray for us.

Do you want to receive this in your email. To get Bo Sanchez to send it to you personally, register and log-on to http://kerygmafamily.com.
Lots of surprises await.

No comments: