Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Duped by God

You duped me, O Lord, and I let myself be duped;
you were too strong for me, and you triumphed.
~~Jeremiah 20:7

Jeremiah, Paul and Peter have something in common: they were all duped by God into doing things that they were naturally reluctant to do. Jeremiah was duped into becoming a prophet despite his aversion to public speaking. Paul was duped into preaching to the Gentiles despite the personal sufferings it entailed. And Peter, though he tried to persuade Jesus not to go to Jerusalem, ended up going there with him.

Do you ever feel duped by God? I do when I feel called to help someone others don't seem to notice; or when I feel the need to set time aside for prayer even though I am very busy; or when I feel called to do something about an unjust situation even though I don't feel up to the task.
Hanging around with God can be hazardous to our personal agenda, for God can get us to love in ways and in places we never imagined.

God of divine cunning and trickery, continue to outwit me with your love.

Sr. Melanie Svoboda, S.N.D.

Shared by:

Oyee Alcantara
El Sobrante, CA

No comments: