Tuesday, October 11, 2011

HYPOCRISY

SABBATH
One of the classical dramas I like is Moliere’s Tartuffe. This character, Tartuffe, is a through and through religious hypocrite. I wonder what Moliere would let Jesus tell him if the author of the drama had confronted Tartuffe with the Lord. For Jesus hated nothing more than hypocrisy. Already yesterday we said that Jesus could be very harsh when He met people who would not believe in His words which come from the Father. In today’s Gospel passage, Jesus uses again strong words to unmask and correct the hypocritical attitude of His host, a respected Pharisee.

Jesus never speaks only to the persons He encounters. What He has to say is timeless, addressed to all who follow Him, even to us living 2,000 years after Him.

And I think what He tells us today quite clearly is to be careful of not becoming stuck outside the cup — concentrating on externals — while not taking care of inside business.

There is a temptation to avoid the hard work of inner growth: growth in attitude, value and spirituality. There is a temptation to stay outside because it’s often messy inside. So we avoid the mess by being superficial, concentrating on the look, on clothes, on symbols of honor.

There is that temptation to look good from the outside like the Pharisees or concentrate on what others are doing wrong or not to our liking. It is much easier spotting other’s faults instead of dealing with our own. Gossip is easier than prayer. Gossip is easier than the Gospel, being bearers of Good News.

Christianity is an inside and outside job, but it starts within. Daily conversion begins as an inside job, in the heart. In spite of the harsh words Jesus had said, in the end He gives us a way out. Even if our life is a mess inside, let us share something with the poor. Be generous – it covers a lot of sins, even hypocrisy. Fr. Rudy Horst, SVD
Reflection Question:
Do I tend to project myself being better than I really am? Do I wear a mask when I meet people? Do I even try to cover up when I am with the Lord?
Lord, it is so difficult to be completely oneself. There is always the fear of what others would think about my weaknesses and failures. Lord, prevent me from wearing a mask; help me not to be a hypocrite.
St. Canice, pray for us.

No comments: