Monday, October 24, 2011

Masks are for Carnival only


SABBATH
 
Jesus is angry in today’s Gospel. Rightly so. What He faces in the synagogue is illogical and hypocrisy. But it goes on until today. One day I walked on a Sabbath through Mea Shearim, the ultra-orthodox quarter in Jerusalem. When I came to a major road, I saw many Orthodox Jews standing along the road, cursing the cars passing by with loud voices and angry faces. Why? To start and drive a car is forbidden on a Sabbath. And so they “celebrate” the holy day of Sabbath, supposedly a day of praising God, by cursing people. 

Hypocrisy, we exclaim. But are we better? How many of our Christian fellowmen are wearing a pious mask by   attending daily Mass but destroying the reputation of a neighbor by their gossip? How many lament the poverty of many Filipinos but own two, three luxury cars, eat in posh restaurants and “fatten” their bank accounts?

How much money was used by “Christian” politicians for commercials during last year’s election campaign while so many of their countrymen were hungry, suffering and even dying because they could not afford a hospital? The list of Christian hypocrisy and Christian masks is endless.

Even in the Church, sad to say, we discover hypocrisy. There are priests who accumulate wealth, who are supposed to be celibate but have a woman and even children! We were shocked in recent years by revelations of sex scandals in many parts of the Church. So many pious masks are hiding the real person.

We understand Jesus’ anger in the synagogue, but it would be good to ask: What would Jesus say if He came here right now — in my parish, in my family? What would He say when He sees my lifestyle, my words and actions (or lack of
them)? Which mask would He rip from my face?

Hard as it is, it would be good to ask ourselves these questions. The answers may help us to become more honest — for masks are for carnivals onlyFr. Rudy Horst, SVD
 

Reflection Question:
Do I wear a mask to hide my ugly self? Do I pretend to be better than I am?
 
Lord, You have hit not only the people in the synagogue; You have hit me, too. I also wear a mask to hide my real self. Give me the strength and courage to be honest, to show my real face or to change to become what You want me to be.
 
St. Joseph Thi, pray for us.

No comments: