Sunday, April 29, 2012

Today's Gospel - April 29, 2012 with Reflection

1ST READING - Acts 4:8-12
P S A L M - Psalm 118:1, 8-9, 21-23, 26, 28, 29
R: The stone rejected by the builders has become the cornerstone.
1 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his mercy endures forever. 8 It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man. 9 It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in princes. (R) 21 I will give thanks to you, for you have answered me and have been my savior. 22 The stone which the builders rejected has become the cornerstone. 23 By the Lord has this been done; it is wonderful in our eyes. (R) 26Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord; we bless you from the house of the Lord. 28 I will give thanks to you, for you have answered me and have been my savior. 29 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; for his kindness  endures forever. (R)
2ND READING - 1 John 3:1-2

GOSPEL ACCLAMATION
I am the good shepherd, says the Lord; I know my sheep, and mine know me.
John 10:11-18
11 Jesus said: I am the good shepherd. A good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12 A hired man, who is not a shepherd and whose sheep are not his own, sees a wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away, and the wolf catches and scatters them. 13 This is because he works for pay and has no concern for the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd, and I know mine and mine know me, 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I will lay down my life for the sheep. 16 I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. These also I must lead, and they will hear my voice, and there will be one flock, one shepherd. 17 This is why the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down on my own. I have power to lay it down, and power to take it up again. This command I have received from my Father.”1st READING 2n
IST

SABBATH

LAYING DOWN OUR LIFE
Today the Church celebrates Good Shepherd Sunday. The readings refer to the Good Shepherd, a popular and well-loved image. It is also celebrated as Vocation Sunday where we are encouraged to pray for vocations to priesthood and religious life. The sheep listen to the voice of the shepherd and follow him. Let us pray this day for followers of the Good Shepherd who imitate Him by giving their lives for the sake of the Gospel.
The Father loves Jesus since He lays down His life for His sheep. The Father loves us all, but He is especially drawn to the man and woman who seek a life of loving service. Jesus tells us that He lays His life down freely. His will is completely surrendered to the will of the Father. He knows the Father gives Him power to lay it down and take it up. This is the power of the Resurrection.
By virtue of our baptism, we are called to lay down our life for service in the Kingdom of God. Many are called but few are chosen to the religious life and the call to priesthood. We live in a world that is very egocentric — all about me. The one who follows the Lord as priest or religious is swimming against the tide of the world. So many things claim the attention of the youth today to distract them and turn them away from serving God. So, when we witness and hear a call to the religious life, we are amazed at what the Lord, the Good Shepherd, can achieve in weak human beings whose hearts are open to Him. His is the power at work in them, offering their lives to the glory of His name. Countless men and women have served the Lord in this way. Still the Lord calls His people.
Let us pray for vocations. Let us especially call to mind those whom we know or whom we should approach to discover the call of God in their lives. Perhaps they are waiting to be asked. Sometimes, all it takes is an invitation to consider a call to religious life. It happened to me. It could happen to you. Be open. Fr. Brian Steele, MGL
   
REFLECTION QUESTION: Are you willing to lay down your life for the Lord in religious, married or single life?
   
Thank You, Lord, for Your mercy and love. Thank You for calling me to serve You. Amen.
   
St. Catherine of Siena, virgin and doctor of the Church, pray for us.

   
Do you want to receive this in your email?  To get Bo Sanchez to send it to you personally, log-on to http://kerygmafamily.com.
Lots of surprises await.
 
 

No comments: