Sunday, June 10, 2012

Today's Gospel Reading - Sunday, June 10, 2012 with Reflection

Solemnity of the Body and Blood of Christ

1ST READING - Exodus 24:3-8

P S A L M - Psalm 116:12-13, 15-16, 17-18
R: I will take the cup of salvation, and call on the name of the Lord.
12 How shall I make a return to the Lord for all the good he has done for me? 13 The cup of salvation I will take up, and I will call upon the name of the Lord. (R) 15Precious in the eyes of the Lord is the death of his faithful ones. 16 I am your servant, the son of your handmaid; you have loosed my bonds. (R) 17 To you will I offer sacrifice of thanksgiving, and I will call upon the name of the Lord.
18 My vows to the Lord I will pay in the presence of all his people. (R)

2nd READING - Hebrews 9:11-15

GOSPEL ACCLAMATION
I am the living bread that came down from heaven, says the Lord; whoever eats this bread will live forever.
Mark 14:12-16, 22-26
12 On the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, when they sacrificed the Passover lamb, Jesus’ disciples said to him, “Where do you want us to go and prepare for you to eat the Passover?” 13 He sent two of his disciples and said to them, “Go into the city and a man will meet you, carrying a jar of water. Follow him. 14 Wherever he enters, say to the master of the house, ‘The Teacher says, “Where is my guest room where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?”’ 15Then he will show you a large upper room furnishedand ready. Make the preparations for us there.” 16 The disciples then went off, entered the city, and found it just as he had told them; and they prepared the Passover. 22 While they were eating, he took bread, said the blessing, broke it, and gave it to them, and said, “Take it; this is my body.” 23 Then he took a cup, gave thanks, and gave it to them, and they all drank from it. 24 He said to them, “This is my blood of the covenant, which will be shed for many. 25 Amen, I say to you, I shall not drink again the fruit of the vine until the day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God.” 26Then, after singing a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.

SABBATH


GOD IS WITH US IN THE EUCHARIST



As Catholics, we believe that the bread and wine in the Eucharist becomes the Body and Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ. This happens during the epiclesis, or the time when the priest lays his hands over the two species while saying, “Let your Spirit come upon these gifts to make them holy so that they may become for us the Body and Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ.” It is God through His Spirit who makes it happen, not the priest.


God is present to us in so many ways: in the congregation, in the priest, in the Word of God, in all Creation, and in all events of life. But we further believe that He is really and truly present in the Eucharist. That is why in communion, the priest says, “The Body of Christ!” The priest presents to the communicant not a symbol or a representation of the Lord but Jesus Himself. And we say “Amen” to profess our faith in what we receive.

Jesus Himself instituted the Eucharist and made Himself available in the form of bread and wine. In the Gospel today, Jesus, after taking and blessing the bread, broke it and gave it to His disciples saying, “Take it, this is my body.” He did the same to the wine and said, “This is my blood.” According to Dr. Scott Hahn, who made a thorough study of the Bread of Life Discourse (John 6) of Jesus, if He meant it to be a symbol, He would have said so. But He really meant it to be His Body and Blood when He said, “The bread that I will give is my flesh for the light of the world.”

Many claim that they have received communion so many times but nothing seems to be happening to them. The Eucharist is not a magic food that will instantly transform our lives; if we think so, then we are mistaken. Receiving the Lord entails preparation and reparation. We must approach the table of the Lord in humility and purity. Reconciliation is the optimum need. Only then can we be transformed by Him and become more like Him.

When we approach the priest for communion, let us be aware that we are receiving Jesus Himself. Everything we say and do should be a reflection of Him whom we received — and then He becomes real in us! Fr. Benny Tuazon

REFLECTION QUESTION: Are you keenly aware that you are receiving Jesus Himself in the Eucharist? How has it transformed you?

Lord Jesus, thank You for giving us Your Body and Blood. May we receive You always with purity and humility, and thus, be transformed and become more like You.

Blessed Joachima, pray for us.

Do you want to receive this in your email?  To get Bo Sanchez to send it to you personally, log-on to http://kerygmafamily.com.
Lots of surprises await.
 

No comments: