Sunday, June 24, 2012

Today's Gospel Reading - Sunday, June 24, 2012 with Reflection

Solemnity of the Nativity of John the Baptist


1ST READING - Isaiah 49:1-6

P S A L M
Psalm 139:1-3, 13-14, 14-15
R: I praise you for I am wonderfully made.
O Lord, you have probed me and you know me: you know when I sit and when I stand; you understand my thoughts from afar. My journeys and my rest you scrutinize, with all my ways you are familiar. (R) 13 Truly you have formed my inmost being; you knit me in my mother’s womb. 14 I give you thanks that I am fearfully, wonderfully made; wonderful are your works. (R) My soul also you knew full well; 15 nor was my frame unknown to you when I was made in secret, when I was fashioned in the depths of the earth. (R)

2ND READING - Acts 13:22-26

GOSPEL ACCLAMATION
You, child, will be called prophet of the Most High, for you will go before the Lord to prepare his way.
Luke 1:57-66, 80
57 When the time arrived for Elizabeth to have her child she gave birth to a son. 58 Her neighbors and relatives heard that the Lord had shown his great mercy toward her, and they rejoiced with her. 59 When they came on the eighth day to circumcise the child, they were going to call him Zechariah after his father, 60 but his mother said in reply, “No. He will be called John.” 61 But they answered her, “There is no one among your relatives who has this name.” 62 So they made signs, asking his father what he wished him to be called. 63 He asked for a tablet and wrote, “John is his name,” and all were amazed. 64 Immediately his mouth was opened, his tongue freed, and he spoke blessing God. 65 Then fear came upon all their neighbors, and all these matters were discussed throughout the hill country of Judea. 66All who heard these things took them to heart, saying, “What, then, will this child be?” For surely the hand of the Lord was with him. 80 The child grew and became strong in spirit, and he was in the desert until the day of his manifestation to Israel.

SABBATH



FAITH MORE VALUABLE THAN GOLD



John the Baptist clearly had nothing much in terms of earthly possessions. Neither did he have much to eat. No, dieting had nothing to do with it, the kind we pampered postmoderns are wont to do. It was all about doing and behaving as one thought and believed. It had to do with “doing” that followed “being,” as one “appointed before he was born to be prophet to the nations.” The issue of divorce was a big issue last year. So was the divorce between sex and the call to life, and responsibility for unborn life. But there is one more insidious underlying divorce that I want to reflect on today – the divorce between faith and life, the seeping tendency to separate being from doing.

John the Baptist was great, first and foremost, for being the forerunner of the Messiah. He was called and sent to prepare the way of the Lord. But his greatness was heightened and affirmed by a lifestyle and behaviour that befitted his lofty mission. As precursor in the way of the Messiah, he knew whereof he spoke. Leveling roads and filling in potholes were not just figures of speech, good for publications like this. He walked his talk. And how!

This puts preachers like me to shame — the call to consistency, the so-called “unity of life” where faith and life meet at the crossroads of daily existence. But so are the rest of us who claim to be Catholics. One cannot lay claim to belong to the Church if one does not lay claim, too, to believing in the one faith, one Lord, one Baptism, one Church, and one God and Father of all!

The great divorce in our times has led to many disturbing consequences. Cafeteria Catholicism is one of them, or the tendency to choose what one wants to believe, or what one wants to follow and obey. John the Baptist has a lot to teach us today and every day of our lives. He talks about not only the way to follow — he shows us how. And he does so by living what he preached — living simply and frugally, for he deemed his faith more valuable than gold! Fr. Chito Dimaranan, SDB



REFLECTION QUESTION: Is there a divorce between what you believe in and how you live your life? Bridge that gap now.



Lord Jesus, grant me the courage and audacity of John the Baptist. Let me be not afraid, despite contradictions from the world, to live my faith as I should.

St. John the baptist, pray for us.


Do you want to receive this in your email?  To get Bo Sanchez to send it to you personally, log-on to http://kerygmafamily.com.
Lots of surprises await.
 

No comments: