Thursday, May 26, 2011

AN APOLOGIST WANNA BE

 
“God made no distinction between them and us, since he purified their hearts by faith.” – Acts 15:9
 
When Protestant friends realize I’m a devout Catholic, they pepper me with a barrage of preaching. While I do try to answer their relentless questions, I have to admit that my knowledge only goes so far.
My failure to answer convincingly burned a fierce desire in me to know more, to help me express my passion and defend the Church that propagated Jesus’ teachings from two millennia ago.
So I read. I asked questions. I prayed. But the more I learned, the more I realized that the knowledge may make me better at answering questions, but it doesn’t necessarily make me a better Christian.
No matter how much I studied, it is the message of God’s all encompassing love that moves me. It transformed my desire to defend and win debates into a yearning to show God’s love and mercy to others. It made me judge my brothers less and led me to see God’s image and likeness in everyone, even if they are of a different religion or opinion.
What a wonderful world it would be if we could all stop bickering and just remain in His love!Cecil Lim (cez_lim@yahoo.com)
 
REFLECTION:
“It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching.” (St. Francis of Assisi)
 
Lord, may everything I do shine the light of Christ and decrease the darkness.

No comments: