Wednesday, June 4, 2014

THE GREAT JOY OF THE SACRAMENT OF RECONCILIATION

I went to confession yesterday. I came out of the confessional with inexplicable joy.
It's not like it's my first time to go to confession. But the "moment" after confession came as a surprise when I felt the Holy Spirit leading me to thank God that I am Catholic and that we have the Sacrament of Reconciliation.
Now I don't say this to spite my friends from other Christian denominations. In fact, I respect and appreciate what God has given them in their own churches. But I just can't shake the thought of how blessed we are as well that we are Catholic because of this amazing Sacrament that brings so much joy...
It is one thing to feel remorse for your sin, but it is great joy to be able to express it.
It is one thing to express remorse for your sin, but is great joy to for someone to hear it.
It is one thing for someone to hear your remorse, but it is great joy for someone tell you that God understands.
It is one thing to hear from someone that God understands, but it is great joy for that someone to tell you that God also has forgiven.
It is one thing to hear that God has forgiven you, but is great joy when you realize that this one act has made you completely right again with God.
It is one thing to made right again with God but it is great joy to be able to trace the binding power of the priest's forgiveness to Christ's pronouncement to our first Pope Peter in scriptures.
It is one thing to receive binding forgiveness directly from Christ, it is great joy that along with this forgiveness also comes great power directly from Christ's Spirit to do better this time around.
That I am forgiven. That I am made right. That the binding power of the priest's forgiveness has been handed down directly from our Lord. That this binding forgiveness is accompanied with great power that likewise comes from Christ's Spirit.
That I can start afresh again with Him.
That, my dear friends, is simply great joy!
Have a blessed week ahead!

No comments: