Thursday, September 8, 2011

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MY MOTHER, MY MODEL!


SABBATH

Feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

She is the Mother of God. She is the perfect disciple. She is a woman of faith. She is a model of Christian living.

The devotion to Mother Mary ranges from the most basic to the most sublime. Her being an intercessor goes as far as seeing her as a giver of grace, either from her own or from her Son. This is one of the reasons why other religions would attack our faith as idolatrous. While there is some truth to the accusation that some of our faithful almost worship our Blessed Mother, the Catholic faith never teaches that she is God, a salvific grace-giver, or a necessary conduit for the grace of God. That title and capacity is given only to Jesus our Lord and Savior.

Even as a priest, I would not consider myself as a die-hard Marian devotee. My relationship to her is because of her Son, our Lord Jesus Christ. It is clear to me that she cannot save me but she can show me the way. She does not give me grace but she can show me how to avail of it from her Son. She is not God but she bore God in her human womb. I do not look up to her in prayer but feel her by my side praying with me. In moments of need, sorrow, decision, failure and other dire situations, she inspires, comforts, encourages and joins me. She is a mother to me, too.

As a young priest, I was invited by a family who regularly goes to the Carmel Church in Lipa, the home of the famous apparition, Mary Mediatrix of All Graces, through then Sister Teresing Castillo. That first visit to Carmel attracted me to the devotion. Since then, together with that family, I would visit and hear Mass there at 6:00 a.m. every first Saturday. The devotion became a part of my spiritual life. The regular monthly visit to the church has helped me go through all the challenges of my ministry and personal life. It has given me peace amidst some turbulent events in my life. I am always confident knowing that every first Saturday at Carmel, our Blessed Mother would join me in approaching her Son.

As Christians, we do not just wallow in our membership to the faith by virtue of our baptism. Like Mary, we should also live it — to the full!

Happy Birthday, Mother Mary!  Fr. Benny Tuazon
 
Reflection Question:
What is the role of Mother Mary in your life?
 
Jesus, thank You for giving us Your mother to lead us to You.
 
St. Kingsmark, pray for us.

No comments: