Friday, September 9, 2011

LOVE THAN JUDGE


SABBATH



“Do not judge,” commands our Lord Jesus. Is this possible? The mere use of our senses already makes us guilty of judgment. As thinking people, are we not always guilty whenever we make an assessment, understanding and conclusion about every situation we encounter? So, what is the point of our Lord?

In the Gospel, His command goes further by telling us to first look at ourselves before we look at others. Is He against any criticism? Is He against any effort to try to help others to change? Surely, the Lord knows that we are not the best judge of ourselves.

I used to be very critical of other priests. I looked down on them and questioned why God allowed them to be ordained as His ministers. I behaved as if I knew better until I went into deep formation work.

As a formator, I became privy to the life and faith of seminarians. I saw how human weaknesses prevail at times over our wills and noble desires. Then, during a renewal retreat for priests, I was assigned as one of the spiritual directors to assist and direct brother priests in their life and ministry. I heard their pains and joys, victories and defeats, loves and hates. After those encounters, I realized that I was no different. I, too, had my own failures and guilts. I suddenly felt empathy and began to judge less.

The Lord wants us to be aware of our limitations as human beings. We only have our point of view or a part of the whole truth. Only God knows the whole truth. But even if God knows everything about us, He would rather heal than destroy, love than punish, forgive than get even. Judgment is God’s, yet He chose to love.

During my formation in the Jesuit institution, San Jose Seminary, I learned a principle that has kept me struggling to be humble and avoid making harsh and unwanted judgments. It is to “always give somebody a plus sign,” to give every one the benefit of the doubt. It is an attitude of trust in the person. And even after the truth is known and the person is guilty, compassion rather than rejection should follow. That is how God is with us! Thanks be to God!  Fr. Benny Tuazon
Reflection Question:
The next time you judge another person, pause and look into yourself first. You might be guilty of the same thing.
Lord, help me to see the “pluses” in each person over and above their “minuses.” Amen.
St. Kieran, pray for us.

No comments: