Saturday, December 17, 2011

FORTUNE TELLING, FORTUNE DOING


1st READING - Genesis 49:2, 8-10
P S A L M - Psalms 72:1-2, 3-4, 7-8, 17
G O S P E L - Matthew 1:1-17

SABBATH

Even now, when I meet old friends and classmates at get-togethers and reunions, I always receive comments like, “I really can’t believe you’re a priest today.” And until now, I still don’t know what to make of it. Do I take as a compliment or an insult?

Seriously, I don’t really blame them. No one in the family tree has been a priest or a religious. And if you knew me back then, you’d be a good fortune teller if you predicted I’ll be a regular churchgoer.

Today we read of the Genealogy, the family tree of Jesus: Generations and generations of people comprising the lineage from where the promised Messiah would come. If a fortune teller looks at that family tree, he would have no second thoughts dismissing the idea that the Messiah would spring up from that stock of people. I don’t really know everyone in that list, but Scripture scholars tell us that men and women of ill repute are included in that list. Included are some adulterers, prostitutes and even scheming murderers. And yet, that is the undeniable truth. The Messiah, the Son of God, did originate from that line of people.

The Genealogy of Jesus can teach us something about how to look at the past and the future.

First, the past does not necessarily determine the future. Freedom to correct and learn from the past is always the gift of the present moment. We are not creatures of chance. We are creatures of choice. It is not by chance that I found myself in the priesthood. It is my choice, despite a past that doesn’t seem to point to it.

Second, one does not “tell” the future. We make our future. It will do us well to remember what the sage says, “The best way to predict your future is to create it.” I was not born a priest; I underwent formation to become one. Ten years of formation to be exact. And my formation continues until now. Fr. Joel O. Jason
 
Reflection Question:                                                                                                                                                   
What is your attitude towards your past? Are you resigned and passive about what the future holds for you?
 
Jesus, in Your Name, I declare freedom from whatever enslaves me in the past and courage towards what frightens me in the future. Amen.
 
St. John of Matha, pray for us.

No comments: