Thursday, December 15, 2011

THE GREATNESS OF HUMILITY

1st READING - Isaiah 54:1-10
P S A L M - Psalms 30:2, 4, 5-6, 11-12, 13
G O S P E L - Luke 7:24-30


SABBATH

There was an accident and a man lay unconscious by the road. As the crowd gathered around, a gentleman approached, trying to see what he could do to help the man. Then from behind, a woman’s voice was heard, “Step back, everyone. I know CPR. I’m the one he needs right now.” The gentleman gave way and said, “I’m glad there’s someone who could administer CPR here. By the way, I’m a doctor. If you need my help, I’ll be right behind you.”

It’s a paradox that those who have little knowledge are the ones who think they know everything. And those who know so much are the ones who understand that they still know too little. Just think back when you were still a teenager. Oh, I remember the arrogance of my youth. Just at the threshold of discovering new things, I thought I knew everything. I remember reading someone defining adolescence as “that time of our life when you wonder why everyone is wrong and only you get it right.” I resented that definition so much that I still remember it today. But now, far beyond my adolescent days, I can only nod in embarrassed agreement.

When I was ordained in 1996, I felt I was ready to conquer the world and offer it the fresh wisdom of a newly ordained. Fifteen years into the ministry, I realize I have offered so little and there is still much to learn.

Today, Jesus pays tribute to John the Baptist. Reading the Scriptures, it seems like he knew so little. Unlike Paul and the other Evangelist who wrote extensively about Jesus, John didn’t have much going for him. And yet we can see from Scriptures that he knew enough — he knew that which matters. He was the first one to recognize and point out to Jesus as the Lamb of God. No wonder Jesus reserved for him the greatest tribute ever said of man by God, “No man born of woman is greater than John.” Like the doctor in our story, let us strive to be knowledgeable. Likehim and John in the Gospel, let us be humble, for only the humble recognizes that which is worth knowing, and that there is always much to learn in this life and beyond. Fr. Joel O. Jason
 
Reflection Question:
Rice grains, when empty, stand straight and tall. Those which have something inside are the ones that are bowed down to the ground.
 
Lord Jesus, Emmanuel, born poor and yet a King, inspire me to aspire for the greatness of humility. Amen.
 
St. Nino, pray for us.

No comments: