Wednesday, December 14, 2011

I’M SO EXCITED!


1st READING - Isaiah 45:6-8, 18, 21-25

P S A L M - Psalms 85:9-10, 11-12, 13-14
G O S P E L - Luke 7:18-23

SABBATH
  
For centuries it has been prophesied that a Messiah will come to bring liberation to Israel. What kind of Messiah and what kind of liberation He will bring was not easily apparent in the prophecies. In our Gospel reading today, we see a sense of curiosity among the people regarding the person of Jesus. News about this newcomer from Nazareth have been brewing in the Galilean countryside and we feel among the people a sense of excitement regarding Jesus and His connection with the prophecy of old.

John the Baptist sent two disciples of his to Jesus to ask Him, “Are you the one who is to come or do we look for another?”

“Do we look for another?” At this time of the year, I usually take a two- or three-day self-imposed retreat before the start of the Christmas season and the Simbang Gabi(dawn Masses). I do not necessarily go off to a secluded place and be by myself, but I do put off and put out anything that I feel clamors for my attention unnecessarily. These self-imposed Sabbath days include no TV (except the news, EWTN and TV Maria), no Internet and only periodic use of the cell phone. In their place, more time for silence and reflection.

The Christmas season is a very exciting and busy season and I can easily be distracted. In this season, the question of the disciples is actually my question, too: “Are you ‘He who is to come’ or do we look for another?” I know Jesus is the One but it’s easy for me to get excited and
look for another. A sage once said, “When someone points at the moon, only a fool looks at the finger.”
As we plunge into these exciting days of Christmas, I invite you to make your own Sabbath day for “He who is to come.” Let us avoid the foolish temptation of looking for another and at our finger. Fr. Joel O. Jason
 
Reflection Question:
What Sabbath preparation are you willing to do to dispose yourself for “He who is to come?”
 
Pray this in mantra fashion, “O come Emmanuel, come. Maranatha! Lord Jesus.”
 
Sts. Justus and Abundius, pray for us.

No comments: