Sunday, December 11, 2011

SHOUT FOR JOY — NOW!

1st READING - Isaiah 61:1-2, 10-11
P S A L M - Luke 1:46-48, 49-50, 53-54
2nd READING - 1 Thessalonians 5:16-24
G O S P E L - John 1:6-8, 19-28

SABBATH

  

The third Sunday of Advent is called Gaudete Sunday.Gaudete is Latin for rejoice. As Christmas draws near, the Church encourages us to rejoice not only because Christmas is near but because joy is an attitude of life. St. Paul in the second reading today commands us, “Rejoice always… render constant thanks.” How could joy be commanded? How can someone tell another how to feel?

Friend, you’re right. We cannot be commanded how to feel. But I think Scriptures “command” us to be joyful because joy is not only a feeling. Joy is a state of mind and being, a product of the will, and a decision to focus on what is right and not only on what is wrong in our lives. Let me illustrate.

One of the most amazing and inspiring persons I know (actually, read about) is Tony Melendez. Tony has sold millions of inspirational albums. He plays the guitar with gusto and passion, with his feet. Yes, you read right, with his feet. Tony was born with no arms. When he was born, his parents thought he was an alien of sorts. But growing up, Tony refused to focus on what he does not have. He focused on what he has and made good use of it. In one poignant interview he said, “Growing up, I’ve often asked God to give me a miracle. Until I realized that I am a miracle.” Truly, as a guitar player myself, I consider it a miracle how one can play chords with one foot and pluck, not just strum, the guitar with the other the way Tony does.

How many among us, with complete hands and feet, fret at the slightest inconvenience? How many among us curse the alarm clock instead of thanking God for the gift of hearing? How many among us curse the sunlight that interrupts our sleep instead of thanking God for the gift of sight? How many of us curse, sitting in our car through traffic and not appreciate the fact that we own a car? The list could go on and on.

L e t Gaudete Sunday fill you today with the gift of joy. Or maybe better, the will to be joyful. Have a joy-filled Sunday! Fr. Joel O. Jason

Reflection Question:
Ponder on this: I lament the fact that I have only a pair of worn-out shoes until I saw a man with no feet.

Lord Jesus, remind me of the blessings that I take for granted. Cleanse my heart of the inconveniences I give too much focus on. Amen.

Pope Saint Damsus I, pray for us.

No comments: