Monday, January 28, 2019

More Wisdom from Paul Badde

Then he heard someone calling him from up the hill: ‘Juan, dear. Dearest Juan Diego.’ He then ventured to go where the voice was calling him. He was not a bit alarmed: on the contrary, he very happily climbed the hill to see from where the voice was calling him. At the top he saw a Lady standing there, telling him to come closer . . . She said to him: ‘Listen, Juan, dear, smallest of my sons, where are you going?’ He replied: ‘My Lady, my Queen, and my little girl, I am going to your house in Mexico-Tlatelolco, to praise and serve God as taught us by our priests, the representatives of our Lord.’ She then spoke to him and revealed her holy will: ‘Know and understand, smallest of my sons! I am the ever-virgin, holy Mary, Mother of the true God; the life-giving Creator of all people; the Lord of what is near and what is far, of heaven and earth. I deeply desire that a chapel be built to me he where I can show, praise and testify to him forever. Here I will give people all my love, compassion, help, comfort and salvation . . .’ From the 1649 text by Luis Lasso de la Vega of a narrative written by Antonio Valeriano a century before.

—PAUL BADDE
from Maria of Guadalupe: Shaper of History, Shaper of Hearts

No comments: